Note from Nancy: In case you missed it, we sent our a Dreamforce wrap-up and cool tool report in our newsletter this Sunday. In today’s blog post, Rebecca Bell Ellis weighs in on the goodies she found at Dreamforce. Rebecca is a Sr. Analyst for Smart Selling Tools and advises executives in SaaS MarTech companies and interactive marketing agencies who seek a competitive advantage in meeting the needs of marketers. -
This week I’m at the CEB conference in Vegas (yes, I know, but somebody has to do it). Follow me on twitter @sellingtools to hear what’s happening at the event.
I just returned from a high-energy week at Dreamforce ’14 thinking my brain just might explode. If you attended, you’ll know it’s impossible not to come away with a mind full of takeaways from spontaneous networking, informative sessions, fun events and insight on new tools to investigate further.
To help you prioritize the MarTech tools worthy of a follow-up, I’m applying a “Treat or Treat” technique you probably used as a young princess or goblin returning home with your Halloween loot. I’ll separate the Snickers from the Candy Corn, or in this case, the really yummy tools that will energize your 2015 Marketing Journey!
If you’re like most Marketers today, you’re seeking high performance results via tools that complement your primary Marketing Automation platform; such as Marketo, Pardot, Eloqua.
Fortunately, there were many Dreamforce exhibitors with tools well designed to help B2B Marketers achieve significant gains, thus extending the value of their existing technology investment. I’ve sorted a few that are affordable, powerful and well integrated in marketing automation. In my opinion, these are worth consideration.
Predictive is Everywhere
If you are a database marketer like me, you are thrilled that the tool vendors are now embedding proven analytics. What’s the reason for this thrill? Simply it gives us better results: quicker and significant learning from tests and ultimately program success – often 10X! Wikipedia’s definition is “Predictive analytics is an area of data mining that deals with extracting information and using it to predict trends and behavior patterns. Often the unknown event of interest is in the future…” according to author Steven Finlay, Predictive Analytics, Data Mining and Big Data.
Here are several tools with built-in predictive – no need for a staff data scientist!
- Infer (infer.com) offers predictive lead scoring to identify and prioritize Marketing Qualified Leads (MQLs.) This methodology applies machine learning to thousands of behavioral data points from your CRM and Marketing Automation platform. An actionable “behavioral score” is assigned to each lead. Infer also produces a “fit score” which uses predictive analytics to determine how closely each lead matches your ideal prospect profile. This tool will dramatically increase the speed and efficiency of converted revenue from your lead generation programs. Learn more here.
- Totango (totango.com) is a tool that manages the customer lifecycle journey. One of their specific uses of the lifecycle data is predictive analytics to detect early signs of customer churn. The key benefit of predicting churn are your customer loyalty communications and account- base marketing. With this timely insight your marketing programs can target your highest value customers who are most likely to end their contract with you! This data-driven action will help you improve your retention rate which will translate into profitable revenue for your company. Read more including the Zendesk case study.
- Radius (radius.com) describes their tool as a “marketing intelligence platform.” I think of it as an “intelligent segmentation engine.” Radius offers you a constant data-driven focus, designed for marketers. The analytics calculate what’s working well and what isn’t. The results are successful segmentation and marketing messaging plus the elimination of the ineffective or costly targets. Both retention and acquisition metrics improve with this degree of timely, actionable insights. Download Creating Buyer Persona Cheatsheet.
Way beyond old, missing and dirty data
Data is the fuel of our revenue marketing efforts. At Dreamforce, many new and improved tools exposed how they make prospecting data a breeze to acquire and manage. I am convinced that your MQLs will flow when you have a fresh, updated sources for the data plus the processing from tools like these. Importantly, look for the functionality that addresses the perishable nature of today’s prospecting data. Outsourcing to tools like these make the life of a marketer good.
- RingLead (ringlead.com) automates high data quality with smooth integration two-ways with your marketing automation and CRM platforms. The most critical outcomes are 1) elimination of duplicate leads 2) creation of a consolidated, complete record and 3) enhance the profile and information of your opportunities and accounts. Sign up for a Dupe Dive checkup here.
- FullCircleCRM (fullcirclecrm) provides a native Salesforce solution and removes any and all data disconnects between sales and marketing metrics. This resulting state occurs because of the data management techniques which are automated by FullCircleCRM. This tool and the experts behind it understand campaign attribution and the success dependency on data. Learn more – Watch a 20 min webinar.
- Salesloft (salesloft.com) easily helps you build target lists in a browser. This tool replaces manual research, excel jungles and cumbersome list consolidations. It gathers email, phone numbers, social profiles and search information. Email lead nurturing and follow up programs are automated from Salesforce.com. If your function includes sales development with outbound email to finely tuned target lists, this tool will be one of your favorites, too. Take a look.
What next? Experiment.
How can you make progress assessing these tools, while at the same time controlling your MarTec budget? I suggest that you find your favorites. Then work with the tool vendor to set up a trial. Target one new tool each quarter and assess the capability, fit and ROI. Adopt and roll out accordingly. This is your fast track to innovation with tools, as well, you’ll meet your KPIs and bonus faster.
Finally, a huge thanks to Dreamforce ’14 for all the goodies! Especially the sponsors who gave us unlimited inspiration, energy and solutions that will propel B2B Marketers closer to their goals – faster and with more ease. Thank you!